1865 Aschbach Map of Lehigh County

From Iron Allentown Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The 1865 map of Lehigh County was completed and published by Gustavus A. Aschbach (1826-1875)[1] of Allentown, PA. The map is derived from original surveys also by Aschbach.

Details

Map Border

The border of the map consists of a chain of drawings depicting different stills of the region from around 1865. Although several different industries and important figures' residences are shown, this page highlights those relevant to charcoal production and The Balliet Family.

On the left side of the map, third from the top, is a drawing of the Lehigh Furnace. Shown in the image are some of the buildings on the property, horses drawing carriages and wagons, and a bridge with an individual fishing in the waters below.

On the right side of the map, third from the top, is a depiction of the Lehigh Valley Ironworks, at the junction of the Lehigh Valley and Ironton Railroads. In the drawing, the ironworks can be seen with a railroad running past the buildings.

Along the bottom of the map, The Iron Mines at Ironton are shown, second from the left. There are ten specific areas identified on the map. Three of these, numbers one, two, and three, are noted to have belonged to the "Balliet Bros.," which would have incorporated Aaron Balliet (1813-1895) and Paul Balliet (1811-1886). Number eight in the illustration is identified as belonging to the Lehigh Valley Iron Company.

Other

The first is a shot of the Allentown Fire Brick works, underneath which it states M'Hose and Ritter, Allentown, Lehigh Co. PA. The Allentown Foundry & Machine Works is next, "Thayer, Erdmann, Wilson & Co. Manufacturers of steam engines, boilers, coal and freight cars, shafting and mill gearing, furnace and mining work &C." is written underneath.

Next up is a still of the Crane Iron Works in all of its smoking glory, followed by the Allentown courthouse, Allentown's Little Lehigh Mills (Distillery and farm, proprietor E. Schrieber).

The next two pieces depict the residences of John Biery, Esq. in Orefield P.O., and Geo.P. Weils in S.E. Cor. Union & 8th Sts, Allentown, PA.

Breaking up the drawings, we can find the Statistical Table of Lehigh County, Census 1860. It documents the inhabitants, square miles, increase since 1850 in families, farms, and houses from the five boroughs of Allentown, as well as the townships of Hanover, Heidelberg, Lowhill, Lynn, Macungie Lower and Upper, Milford Lower and Upper, Salsburg, Upper Saucon, Washington, Weissenburg, and Whitehall South and North.

Following this lengthy chart, a depiction of the residence of Henry King Esq. (Hamilton St., Allentown PA), Kern and Maier's Brewery, office and saloon, (Odd Fellow's Hall, Allentown PA), and the residence of James Fuller Esq (Front Street, Catasauqua) can be found.

Next comes the Lehigh County Poorhouse, as well as the Allentown Seminary. No addresses are documented for these locations. This is followed by the bustling Allentown Iron Works and a lovely scenic View of Allentown, PA. The Allentown Rolling Mill Company, with its Puddling Mill, Boilerhouse, Rail Mill and office clearly labeled, as well as the Slatington & Quarries of Lehigh Slate Co., which follows closely behind.

Starting the column on the right is the Allentown Academy, Cox. VIIIth & Walnut St. Allentown, PA, the Fountain Mills in Cedar Springs owned by Hiram J. Schantz, and the residence of David Thomas Esq., Cor 2nd & Pine St, Catasauqua. Next is a smoky depiction of the Allentown Woollen Mills owned by Henry Gabriel, and the residence of CHs Kline Esq., Cor. VIth & Chew Sts. Allentown PA.

Interrupting the flow of drawings is a large template placed exactly across from the census called Historical Notes of Lehigh County. Above of this placard is a scene of the Residence of Sam L. A. Bridges Esq, Cor. Hamilton & 5th Sts, Allentown PA, the Lanark residence of C. Whittman, the Muehlberg Vineyard in Saucon Valley PA, The Lehigh Valley Ironworks at the Junction of the Lehigh Valley and Ironton Rail Roads, Schreiber's Distillery and Farm at Schreiber's Station at the junction of the Ironton and Lehigh Valley R.R, and the Fairhouse of the Lehigh County Agricultural Society in Allentown, PA ends the column on the right of the map.

The two panels on the right of the map's title (working from the right corner inwards), are the Lehigh Tube Works, Albright & Co. found at Front St. Allentown, PA, and P.S Pretz & Co. Steam Planing Mill and Lumber Yard located on the Corner of 3rd & Union St. Allentown, PA.

Notes

  1. Find a Grave

References

  • Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 29 May 2020), memorial page for Gustavus Adolph Aschbach (3 Mar 1826–17 Apr 1875), Find a Grave Memorial no. 70783784, citing Fairview Cemetery, Allentown, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, USA ; Maintained by Emily Miller (contributor 47462726).